× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Mitsubishi 4J12 Timing Troubles
Posted to Technical Discussion Forum on 1/28/2023 13 Replies

Working with a '15 Outlander with the 2.4L 4J12 engine. This vehicle was brought in with a P0016 and no drivability concerns. We replaced the timing chain (which was in fact stretched), guides, and tensioner but it's still setting a P0016. I did a cam-crank correlation which shows that it's out of time. Factory service data is unclear on how to properly time the engine as it shows two conflicting pictures of the cam sprocket with cylinder 1 at TDC (crank keyway at 9-o'clock and crank dot at 5-o'clock). Can anyone shed some light on the proper timing of this engine? Is this the correct position of the cam sprocket? I've also attached the waveforms of the out-of-time engine for verification of my diagnosis. [2015 Mitsubishi Outlander ES, Engine/Propulsion Waveform] [2015 Mitsubishi Outlander ES, Engine/Propulsion Photo]

Justin David Clyman
Owner
E&J Mobile Mechanics
Clifton Heights, Pennsylvania, USA

Files Referenced:

thumbnail thumbnail

13 Replies Received (View Replies)

car Vehicle Data

2015 Mitsubishi Outlander ES 2.4L

Engine2.4 L

car Vehicle Data

2015 Mitsubishi Outlander ES 2.4L