× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Toyota Hiace random ignition advance
Posted to Technical Discussion Forum on 9/22/2021 25 Replies

Hi Guys We are working on a 2005 TRH112 Toyota Hiace with a 1TR engine.

It came to us in pieces and we assembled the engine.

Problem is two fold. 1) Starts and runs for about 30 seconds and then dies. Fuel pressure is good, spark is good. Vacuum jumps around between 15-18 inches. We thought valve timing initially but more details are explained in problem number two.

When it does idle, as can be seen in the waveform we are about 55deg BTDC advanced. At first I thought this was strange but I have since read on Opel and Nissan sites that some vehicles start off with 50deg advance on a cold engine to heat it up quicker? Can anyone confirm this?

2) Switch off and try and start again and sometimes we have a random crank no start situation with the timing advanced to 400deg BTDC!!!!! and of course backfires because we firing on the exhaust stroke now.

Whats really got me stumped is what (besides the cam and crank signals) would cause such a drastic change in timing triggers from the ECM? Both cam and crank signals do not change in relation to TDC in both captures.

[1TR TRH112 cam and crank 50deg btdc] [1TR TRH112 cam and crank serious advance]

Darren Fraser
Technician/Service Advisor
Mechanics For Africa
Ndola, Zambia

Files Referenced:

thumbnail thumbnail

25 Replies Received (View Replies)