× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Re: GM 1.4L Smoking When Cold
Posted to Technical Discussion Forum on 2/6/2021

[...trimmed text...]

I'm definitely leaning toward a bad turbo on car #2. I drove the vehicle yesterday and under heavy acceleration, it feels like it's running out of air (engines bogs down/misfires, and it smokes quiet a bit.) The customer took the car for now, and I'm not sure if it's coming back or not, but I'll look into it more if it does.

[...trimmed text...]

There was a bit of moisture in the PCV system, so it's possible that some ice may have formed at some point. We only had a few days of really cold weather at the beginning of the week then it warmed up, which made it impossible to duplicate the conditions. We did replace the valve cover, as those are problematic on this engine.

[...trimmed text...]

These are identical vehicles, but different owners. We don't have much history on either one, but we did do the last service on both. Both vehicles have around 90K miles, which means an average of over 20k a year, so probably not a lot of short trips with either one.

Thanks for taking time to reply and I will update if we get a chance to dig deeper.

James Kuhns
Owner/Technician
Auto Tech Solutions
Chatham, New York, USA