× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
2013 Chevrolet Equinox 2.4L bad injectors?
Posted to Technical Discussion Forum on 12/3/2020 89 Replies

Working on a 2013 Equinox that is bringing me to the edge. This vehicle has a 2.4L with Direct injection injectors. I have verified timing with a lab scope, has spark and injector pulse. good compression across all 4 cylinders. This car will start and run ( and run good ) on propane and carb clean. Actually ran the car for close to 5 minutes just on a can of propane hoping to set a code. Will not run on injector cleaner hooked to the fuel rail, pressurized to factory spec.

No codes in pcm or any other modules. no immobilizer light or problems

[2012 Chevrolet Equinox LS, Ignition Waveform] [2013 Chevrolet Equinox LS, Ignition Waveform]

I'm making this post in hopes that people can interpret my scope captures of these injectors, the drivers coming from the pcm (high and low pulse) seem strong, but the amperage waveform has something to be desired. I found a waveform in the iatn library (what's left of it) of a good known and bad, and the bad seems to match my waveform to the tee, I don't like how rigid the edges are when the injector turns off, it seems on the good known waveform I've found it has a smooth rounded edge at the end of the waveform. I also noticed my injector is pulling 10 amps (wow) while the replaced injector is pulling 1.5 amps

[2013 Chevrolet Equinox LS, BATT/Charging/Starting Waveform]

(known good)

Am I missing anything or is this a home run? I'm going to attempt a injector balance test tomorrow morning when I first start it with propane - because today when I ran it on propane for the first time it ran for close to 5 minutes. I wish I thought of it earlier but what do ya do. after that it was quick running and stalling because of the freezing of the propane lines. I have ohmed the injectors and they're sitting around 2.5-2.8 ohms. spec is 1.5-2.3

Are there any other ways of testing these injectors? or are these waveforms enough to confirm it's the reason it won't light off?

I uploaded the PS files incase any scope jockey wants to chime in on these waveforms

[2013 Chevrolet Equinox LS, Fuel Supply Waveform] [2013 Chevrolet Equinox LS, Fuel Supply Waveform] [2013 Chevrolet Equinox LS, Fuel Supply Waveform]

Aaron Murphy
Technician
Buddy's Service Center
Jonesboro, Georgia, USA

Files Referenced:

thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail

89 Replies Received (View Replies)