× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
02 ram trans pressure solenoid P0748
Posted to Technical Discussion Forum on 3/21/2019 13 Replies

This is a 2002 Ram 1500 4X-5.9L. Background is it sets P0748 (has been happening for over a year)and goes into limp mode. Owner replaced solenoid, no change. Took it to a trans shop, they rebuilt trans and put in another new solenoid. Code returned immediately. Trans shop said it is electrical not trans problem. I made basic tests then connected scope with amp clamp (blue)and voltage probe(red) to pressure solenoid control lead . Readings taken at the PCM with the engine idleing in Park. Code will set, repeatedly, with those conditions. The anomaly, I think, is that the PCM pulls the lead to gnd, infrequently, for about 500ms. The solenoid is 3-6 ohms(spec) so the 3A is normal for full ground application. What I am unsure of is that a normal operation or not? I think not but don't have anything better than thinking to back it up. The P0748 is a circuit code(not operation related) so, I don't think that it is caused by a pressure sensor correlation. ( The pressure sensor does show activity.) I don't find a specific criteria for setting the code. [trans pressure solenoid]

[2002 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT, Transmission Waveform]

Steve Park
Technician
Public Safety Radio
Gallatin, Tennessee, USA

Files Referenced:

thumbnail thumbnail

13 Replies Received (View Replies)