× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
6.7l smoking and surging
Posted to Technical Discussion Forum on 5/1/2018 9 Replies

H [2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie, Fuel Supply Scan Data] [2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie, Fuel Supply Scan Data] [2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie, Fuel Supply Scan Data] Hello I have a 08 ram 6.7l in my bay intermittently surging badly/ emitting very heavy fuel smoke. Always has a wisp of fuel smoke out of exhaust system.

First time truck was in (same issue) rail pressure was running 1000psi lower than commanded capped injectors one by on to isolate leaking injector, found cylinders 1,3,6 causing fuel pressure drop. engine was badly coked under valve cover and intake tract .

When happening my fuel rail pressure shoots up to 11,000psi which matches commanded, but normal idle is 4600psi when the truck is not acting up. I have checked all powers all grounds. checked all engine harness wiring and connections for corrosion or loose pins. monitored my 5v sensors with a lab scope cannot seem to find a correlation between my fuel pressure jumping up and any of the sensors. Reflashed ECM as it acted like a ECM with a corrupt data block

Have noticed turbo speed drops to zero when issue is happening small throttle input will speed turbo back up with no change for surging smoking issues.

Cylinder contribution tests during normal engine operation show all cylinders running in the range of 98-104%, when truck starts surging and dumping fuel smoke my cylinder 5 and 2 contribution drops to 88-92% contribution and cylinder four drops to 44% contribution. Truck was recently purchased by the customer, with no prior history known. has been emissions deleted. No tuner came with truck.

Checked scan data against known good truck and I cannot see any PID that really stands out as a cause to my issue. I have attached scan data from this truck during known bad operation, and data from a known good truck

Thanks for any help or advice

Kurt Harlan
Technician/Manager
Emmett's Auto Repair
Klamath Falls, Oregon, USA

Files Referenced:

thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail

9 Replies Received (View Replies)

car Vehicle Data

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L

Engine6.7 L
Trans6-speed Automatic (Electronic)