× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Alternator or PCM
Posted to Technical Discussion Forum on 7/15/2017 11 Replies

I have this currently in tech help and while the consensus is faulty alternator which I am inclined to agree with as the pcm looks like it is trying to control the charging before setting the code P0625 : field circuit low , [2008 Ford Taurus Limited, BATT/Charging/Starting Waveform] I'm not fully understanding exactly what may be wrong as some of the responses have been it may take more than one attempt to get a good alternator. There are no charging issues and voltage is stable. One respondent mentioned looking at AC voltage which I did while running and was not excessive, but not during start up and here is what I captured after starting engine, Blue trace is now AC voltage, 2 volt scale [2008 Ford Taurus SEL, BATT/Charging/Starting Waveform] . I then wanted to see what would happen while commanding voltages high and low. [2008 Ford Taurus SEL, BATT/Charging/Starting Waveform] Could this be the cause of the code and how would one check this before installing if indeed this is the fault of the alternator? One other thing I came across in more than one source, including Pico under the Ford smart alternator test. Not to install a lead-acid type battery on these systems( which this vehicle I suspect has, Interstate Mega-tron), but it notes it could do damage to the battery because of the higher voltage strategies. It lists a silver calcium battery. Scott Hinkle linked me to his discussion, but not sure same issue, his seemed to be an unstable charging voltage which turned out to be a faulty or sub standard voltage regulator which he rectified :), with a member supplied quality unit. Welcome any and all comments, thanks.

Paul Sanders
Owner/Technician
Parkway Auto Rebuilders
Harvey, Illinois, USA

Files Referenced:

thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail

11 Replies Received (View Replies)

car Vehicle Data

2008 Ford Taurus SEL 3.5L

Engine3.5 L
Trans6-speed Automatic (Electronic)

car Vehicle Data