× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Chrysler P0883 P0882 TIPM Trans Relay
Posted to Technical Discussion Forum on 3/29/2015 6 Replies

Hello all,

This is after many hours with this minivan testing and research. First found same error in documentation on a 2011 with similar problems. Thought would share what I can. Hopefully a Chrysler engineer might see this and shed some light.

[2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, ECM/Inputs/Outputs Waveform] [2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, ECM/Inputs/Outputs Waveform] [2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, ECM/Inputs/Outputs Waveform] [2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, ECM/Inputs/Outputs Schematic]

PCM T15 signal does not directly pull relay coil down as published, instead PCM outputs 12V on circuit T15 to TIPM which in turn grounds the relay. You can actuate the relay (sometimes referred as PCM, but is trans power) only through TIPM menu. The relay coil is always hot on other side.

This one (and another new TIPM) will not pull the coil down, instead cycles or modulates to ground at varying frequencies. If T15 is at 0V, then TIPM does switch off. But T15 voltage rises gradually when key off from 0 to about 2.7V. When rises past 2.5V, TIPM cycles coil again. Cut the wire to find the "leakage" on PCM side. The PCM T15 output is 12V on will light a test bulb, but has a 3.5 - 4.0V bias when off. See attachments. Can post waveforms as .jpg if you're curious and cannot open Pico .pstdata files

Have tested all related circuits and all grounds at TIPM and PCM. I don't get how it can be anything other than a TIPM problem, why we paid big $$ for a new (reman) module. After replacing, seeing same problem, also noticed build date on old TIPM as August 2014. Someone else apparently had the same idea, I doubt they got as deep as I have been with it. Found out later that previous owner had trouble last Fall and spent $$$$ for TIPM, but traded it in because it could not, or would not be fixed.

I doesn't seem like 2 or maybe 3 TIPMs could have the same problem, but also seen stranger things happen. If I can't find the issue, which doesn't seem likely, plan to hook up an external trans power relay. I think it will work with T15 powering a grounded coil, and try to get the correct fuse power to the switch to power T16 when on. Then find a way to make it right with UCD customer that bought at auction. I paid the $125 core charge, damned if will send it back for exchange if nothing wrong with it. Cannot return it unless can prove it actually is defective. Right now more concerned with solving the problem. Maybe will try it in another van, not sure if will need programming, but shouldn't need to just to see if same symptom.

Thanks for your time

Kevin from Maine

Files Referenced:

thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail

6 Replies Received (View Replies)

car Vehicle Data

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4.0L

Engine4.0 L
Trans6-speed Automatic (Electronic)

car Vehicle Data

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4.0L

Engine4.0 L