× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
p0017 Cam/Crank Correlation DTC
Posted to Technical Discussion Forum on 12/21/2013 9 Replies

Can anyone tell me if this engine cams are in time? I haven't found any waveforms for this specific vehicle in the IATN waveform data base but did come across one for a 2004 Cadillac CTS with shares the same LY7 engine. I found that the only difference I can see is with the exhaust cams. I can't tell which of the two is different or possibly off from my scope capture because he didn't put the crank on there to reference from, just all 4 cam signals on one screen. This vehicle has a reoccurring P0017 dtc. Freeze frame showed it set shortly (23 seconds) after a cold start (48 degrees) with the vehicle moving at 5mph engine speed at 1130 rpm. I've read a lot of info about timing chains for these and the LLT engines in traverses stretching prematurely with some even jumping timing and I'm wondering if the chain on here is stretched. Odometer shows 77,000 miles. The bank 1 exhaust actuator solenoid was replaced before I got to it and the oil and filter was changed other than that nothing I know of has been done. I removed both valve covers and checked secondary chain tension which both were good. Red trace is for bank 2 and Blue is for Bank 1 with the cam/crk scope. And the relative compression scope has green trace for cyl 1 coil trigger and blue for cylinder #2. (135 bank 1) (246 bank 2). [2007 Pontiac G6 GTP, ECM/Inputs/Outputs Waveform] [2007 Pontiac G6 GTP, Ignition Waveform] [2007 Pontiac G6 GTP, ECM/Inputs/Outputs Waveform] [2007 Pontiac G6 GTP, ECM/Inputs/Outputs Waveform]

Jeremy Adams
Technician
AAA Car Care Center
Cary, North Carolina, USA

Files Referenced:

thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail

9 Replies Received (View Replies)

car Vehicle Data

2007 Pontiac G6 GTP 3.6L Mil Lamp On

Engine3.6 L
Trans6-speed Automatic (Electronic)
SymptomsMil Lamp On