× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Kia Optima Air Bag ACU Code B1762
Posted to Technical Discussion Forum on 7/1/2013 12 Replies

I had a 2013 KIA Optima come in from a body shop to repair the air bag after collision.

I realize that the vehicle info says Sorento but I.A.T.N. does not list Optima in 2013.

I pulled the trouble code B1762 ACU coding error. B1762 GDS B1762 ACU Code

All the body shop would tell me was it had all new air bag parts. Arggg!

Using KIA GDS I went into ACU coding function and it requested a four digit code. I called local dealer to get the code TFA4 but was also able to get the code using the automatic procedure with GDS connected to internet as well. Kia ACU Code Function 6

The ACU Code function failed. I double check the code and it failed again. KIa ACU Code Errorr

After I made a call to Joey at A&E tools and getting an education how this system works I was able to get it fixed.

Want I learned was that if you are going to replace the air bag module on a newer Kia/Hyundai you will need to repair all faults in system before installing new module. You want to make sure that all faults in the old module except crash data are corrected first.

You can also retrieve the ACU code from the old module and use it to code the new module as long as the part # is the exact same.

The ACU code is the as built code for air bag system.

The airbag module will NOT code if any faults are present, but the airbag module will NOT set faults until coded.

In my case the body shop had thrown away the old module and the car had 600 miles on it so every part looked new and I was told had been replaced.

You will either have to test each part until you find a fault (ohm out seat belt & buckles, etc..) or install the new module in another vehicle with same options.

I went to local dealer and they had four of same model. I check the V.I.N.s on all four and they had the same ACU code.

After asking very nicely and explaining my situation. I installed my new module in one of their new cars and the ACU code worked fine. I then took my coded module back to shop and installed in the body shop car.

It now would list the current faults for driver side belt and buckle. I replace both parts and issue was solved. Kia air bag Codes

Thought this might help the next guy.

Kirk from Texas

Files Referenced:

thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail

12 Replies Received (View Replies)

car Vehicle Data

2013 Kia Sorento EX 2.4L

VIN 5XXGM4A73D
Engine2.4 L
Trans6-speed Automatic (Electronic)

car Vehicle Data

2013 Kia Sorento EX 2.4L