× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
2014 Chevrolet Spark EV Preview
Posted to Technical Discussion Forum on 11/28/2012 1 Reply

I was invited to a special preview of the 2014 Chevrolet Spark EV last night in Downtown L.A. just ahead of the LA Auto Show that begins Nov. 30th.

I snapped up a few images to share of this fully electrified vehicle. There were GM Volt /Spark EV team principals on hand to provide some details on this new powertrain. This is new traction motor / drive system that is fully developed in house by GM. It's reported to provide 400 ft./lbs. of torque. The battery in the cutaway is an A123 Systems component with a reported 20kWh of energy storage. They would not report a range, as it hasn't been certified yet. The vehicle has a curb weight if just under 3,000lbs. They also claim that the battery pack has fully displaced the area of the fuel tank without displacing any of the passenger area found in the regular Spark.

One other feature I saw was the new (incomplete) J1772 Combo connector which will support L1 / L2 AC charging and Fast DC charging. They claim that starting with less than 20% battery you could get to approximately 80% of charge in about 20 minutes using the DC Fast Charge.

One of the other items GM demonstrated was the Eye's Free Siri integration.

[Siri Meets GM Vehicles]

Scott Brown
Administrator
iATN
Brea, California, USA

Files Referenced:

thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail

1 Replies Received (View Replies)