× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Pressure Transducer Practice
Posted to Technical Discussion Forum on 11/19/2010 36 Replies

A local body shop called and asked for an estimate to have a timing belt replaced on a 2005 Elantra, that was six weeks ago. They claimed that the car was hard to start unless they unplugged the VCT solenoid. The PCM would constantly set a P0016 code for crankshaft / camshaft correlation error.

The owner reported that "he had talked to this person, and to that person" and they all said the belt was out of time. That's why he wanted a price on resetting it a while ago. He also pointed out the fact that the dealer had done the belt less than 5000 miles ago. So all he wanted was for it to be re-timed, if it needed more than that he was just going to send it to the auction.

Now a couple years ago, pulling this apart and going for the check of the belt timing and subsequent adjustment would have seemed routine. Today, there's no way that I'm not going to pull a waveform off of this before I pull it apart.

So, here it is...

[2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS, Engine/Propulsion Waveform]

Lets add some cursors to see exhaust BDC and TDC.

[2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS, Engine/Propulsion Waveform]

Yep, that's out of time. Let's tear it apart.

Hmmm.

[2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS, Engine/Propulsion Photo]

Uh-oh......

Now what????

Think it through. Then look here.

John from Pennsylvania

Files Referenced:

thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail

36 Replies Received (View Replies)