× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
2008 RAM 3500 REAR AXLES
Posted to HD/Fleet Forum on 2/12/2015 27 Replies

Had a RAM 3500 (VIN # 3D6WH46A48G190025 (78K miles) in last week with a rear differential issue. Making a clunking noise going from forward to reverse. Found metal slivers on axle shaft ends and in gear oil when pan dropped. Only apparent damage was the differential carrier was worn through where the gear that the axle shaft engages.

Do to needing a fast turn around on repair combine with parts availability we opted to go with a reman unit.

Fast forward to today. Working on same customers fleet and his other RAM 3500 (VIN # 3D6WH48A48G110638 (95K miles) I decide to change axle gear oils as being proactive. No noises from axle, but I find differential case is worn through the same way.

Is this in the design? Or another axle about to bite the dust?

Both trucks are 6.7 diesel with automatic, cab & chassis. One is a crew cab and the other a standard cab.

[rear axle]

Jason Cohen
Technician
Ralph's Automotive Services
Tivoli, New York, USA

Files Referenced:

thumbnail

27 Replies Received (View Replies)