× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Hourly pay for higher quality work?
Posted to Shop Management Forum on 9/2/2023 41 Replies

Precursor, I am asking about the pay style (flat rate, hourly, profit sharing, bonuses, etc), not specifically about rates, wages, or pricing policies. Despite that, if it is felt that this is still in violation of guidelines I will remove or request to be removed this post.

I am seeking opinions and experience from shop and business managers. I am looking into how pay style affects work quality and employee retention. Our shop has the unusual circumstance of having an exceptional team of techs who prioritize quality of workmanship and work the trade for love of the craft. In the past 2 years management has halved the daily car count and average ticket $ is up, our customers are impressed and positive reviews flood in every week. In an effort to determine if there's a case to present to management, does anyone have personal experience with positive results from changing to hourly pay, with and/or without some form of profit sharing? It does require a certain caliber of employee, but I think we have a solid team after a few years of weeding out the hacks. I think we're doing very well but as the eyes and ears on the ground, so to speak, I see room for improvement. I'm exploring this as an avenue to the end of more professional workmanship and a better service/product to the customer.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

David J Lang
Shop Foreman/Technician
Midas
South Burlington, Vermont, USA

41 Replies Received (View Replies)