× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Dealer supplied 2 defective injectors in a row, who pays?
Posted to Shop Management Forum on 2/12/2020 83 Replies

I have an excellent fleet customer. He ran his F550 6.4L out of fuel, a roadside tech topped up the fuel and did a sloppy roadside bleed. Bottom line is it got towed to my shop, replaced high pressure fuel pump as well as low pressure pump, flushed everything even the tank got washed. Replaced all 8 injectors. Everything from the dealer. Truck seemed good and shipped it. Truck came back next day running bad. After all tests (4 hours) 2 hours on the books we nailed a defect injector. Replaced it, truck ran better but not seeming full power. I considered possible exhaust restriction but we let it go because the customer really needed it. Truck came back next day, same issue. After monitoring exhaust pressure data (that defaults to 18 psi at idle when 4 is desired even with new EP sensor and exhaust disconnected there was no change. Back to other data (cyl contribution, fuel trims) all pointed to the 2nd injector is defective. We did the compression test, leak down test, 8 page pin point test for cylinder contribution test again. Its the injector, replaced it with another now 3rd injector and the truck runs perfect. That is 8 billable hours I feel we should be paid for, the dealer just shrugs, they dont care. Who eats this, the customer or me? Should I bill the customer and tell him to persue the dealer? Whats law, ethical, whats right?

Jason Hatt
Owner/Technician
Newmarket Truck and Auto Service
Mount Albert, Ontario, Canada

83 Replies Received (View Replies)