× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Re: interesting encounter today
Posted to Shop Management Forum on 1/25/2015 9 Replies

We were right in the middle of some scheduled downtime maintenance ,the boss ordered this for the snow clearing machines , when we get a break , we check them over one by one , send them back to work . One of the trainees had just backed out a full tracked Bobcat ,there was another one coming up the driveway , to come in to the shop , a truck towing a trailer pulled in to the parking lot . he did a really good three point turn , he backs it in to the shop , gets out of the truck , walks to the back , to disconnect the trailer . I walked over to him , asked him what he was doing , he says , almost indignantly , he is leaving the trailer , to get the brakes replaced , and the wiring repaired , and he wants it back by 4:00 PM , don't fool around , just get it done . We all have those two way walkie talkie beeper phones , I called the boss , asked him if this was authorized . He said , I'll be right there , within minutes he showed up , walked in , the guy starts on him as well , tells him they took too long the last time .The boss then answered , that the guy had got away with it the last time ,this time he would be paying for two trailer repairs ,all on one bill .It turns out this " customer " had sneaked one by the boss the last time , he thought he'd try it twice , I was amazed he would try to do this again ,then the boss told him that we would do the work , but he wanted at least half of the estimated repair cost before we started , or he would lock up the trailer , until the bill was paid . The " customer " then returned to his truck cab , started the truck , and probably burned off about 1/16th of an inch of tire , on his way out the driveway , with the trailer still attached . It never ceases to amaze me , at times , what some people will try , and try to get away with . Then they scream like h**l when they get caught at it .

Roger Rutledge
Technician/Shop Foreman
Green Park Services
Brantford, Ontario, Canada

9 Replies Received (View Replies)