× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Re: Joe and the Sign or Where's the Problem :)
Posted to Shop Management Forum on 10/30/2014

Why not ell them what the code is? I always put it on the work order anyway, so they know what I fixed.My customers know that I am not autozone, and they always have me fix it in the end.

A good example of free scan that I do, yesterday I did an oil change on a lexus ES300. I call him back, and tell him that I noticed the check engine light was on, with evap leak codes. I tell him that for $xx, which is what I charge per hour, I will smoke the system for leaks, and correctly diagnose it. After I see there are no leaks, I notice that the purge solenoid doesn't open. Quote the customer $xxx.xx for a new purge solenoid installed.

From that free scan, i was able to get another 1.5 hours out of the job, and have a customer that knows I won't overlook simple stuff when doing routine maintenance.

Sean Van Horn
Owner/Technician
Red's Auto Rehab
Cornville, Arizona, USA