× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Nissan Maxima ignition coil low amp probe test
Posted to Technical Tips Forum on 9/3/2008 5 Replies

I get calls and emails occasionally on this and the main question concerns finding the "loop" to connect the low amp probe to.

[2000 Nissan Maxima, Ignition Photo]

[2000 Nissan Maxima, Ignition Photo]

The loop shown here is only on the 2000 up, what I used to call the "new body".

There is a loop on the other end (front) of the engine but if you look at the wiring diagram you will see it is only in series with the #1 coil on the B+ side. That would explain why you can only pick up one coil :) This loop is also on some of the "new body" cars. I don't know why it's there but I see little use for it in diagnostics. The loop referenced above, on the other end of the 2000 and newer cars, does not show up in any diagram I've seen but I've never seen it fail to be there.

You can check the older COP cars almost as easy as the newer ones. Every one I've tested have had the ground for all the coils in the same place.

[89 and older Maxima with coil on plug ground location]

[99 and older Maxima with coil on plug low amp connection]

This is on the lower intake, front side of the engine. The car I used for this was a 99 and it is ground F19 on this car. I think it is on the right bolt but looking at my on picture I can't say for sure. It's for sure one of these two and it's always been a solid black wire. Just set your scope up at 10A and 200-250MS and keep clamping around wires until you get the pattern you're looking for, then fine tune from there. Here are a couple of captures from this car.

[99 Maxima coils]

[1999 Nissan Maxima, Ignition waveform]

Bill from Kentucky

Files Referenced:

thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail

5 Replies Received (View Replies)