× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Do Auto Repair Shops Use Electric Tools?
Posted to Tool & Equipment Forum on 4/18/2019 58 Replies

Hey guys and gals, it's been a while since I've posted on iATN, but I'm wondering if you can help me with a question that's burning a hole in my mind.

I'm in the middle of researching an article on power tools in professional and DIY auto repair. Of course, most stationary equipment in the shop is powered by 120 V or 240 V, maybe 480 V? Then, there's the air tools, which I'm guessing practically every shop has and most mechanics use. It seems like battery-powered tools are starting to give air tools a run for their money, though, especially for mobile technicians. This is stuff I've experienced as a tech, DIYer, educator, and in my research.

My question is about portable electric tools that run on 120 V or 240 V. Are there electric tools, drills, buffers, saws, grinders, etc. that I simply haven't heard of or are used regularly in auto repair shops? If not, why not? The only thing I can think of is the possibility of electric shock and explosion hazard being a disadvantage, like a crushed extension cord or sparks from brushes.

I might be way off-base in this question, and please forgive me if this has been asked before, so go easy on me.

Benjamin Jerew
Technical Writer/Technician
BenjaminJerew.com
North Branford, Connecticut, USA

58 Replies Received (View Replies)