× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Re: visual thermometer, what your rec ?
Posted to Tool & Equipment Forum on 6/8/2017 4 Replies

Hi Adrian,

We've been using the Flir E5 in our shop since last December and can share with you that although we don't need to use it all the time, it can be a very nice complimentary tool for a number of situations. The nice thing about the Flir is that they have an imaging system called MSX that helps you clearly see what it is that you're looking at even in low light. Also, the Flir tool has nice reporting tool that allows young document your findings. (You'll see in the report below that each capture takes two images and stores them in the tool.)

I'm still in learning mode with this tool and there is a ton to be aware of. For instance, different materials have different emissivity levels which can have an effect on your real-time observations. With their software, you can perform temperature measurements (after capture) on materials with different emissivity factors. Additionally, the software will allow you to change the contrast in order to enhance the heat radiation. Since the images are captured as radiometric jpeg files, the metadata allows one to share the file and adjust as needed.

For example, Mark Sarlo uploaded this [image] showing an overheating battery. After downloading the original file and opening it in Flir Tools, I was able to enhance the contrast, adjust the emissivity, add measurements and produce this [image].

Additionally, the software provides one with the ability to create a report, like this one we produced recently on a Limo we had in with a parasitic load.

[2007 Lincoln Town Car Executive, Parasitic Load Document]

Regards,

Scott Brown
Administrator
iATN
Claremont, California, USA

Files Referenced:

thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail

4 Replies Received (View Replies)