× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
DIY coil tester- Part2
Posted to Tool & Equipment Forum on 2/24/2016 9 Replies

I'm back again with my second installment for another type of homemade COP coil bench tester. This design is to control a 3 or 4 wire coil with an internal module- ie. the primary switching transistor is part of the COP unit. Now what I came up with is a small device that makes a 0-5V squarewave with 3msec on-time at 15Hz.[DIY mini coil driver] So you could just buy an adjustable signal generator that would do the same thing, but where's the fun in that? ;)

Most 3 - 4 wire COP coils function about the same; power, ground, and a control ckt (4th wire might be another ground or coil feedback ckt). The control signal is usually a squarewave (around 0-4V to 0-5V), when it rises the coil starts charging, when it falls the coil fires.

This build is based on another NE555 signal generator. This unit has an on-board output transistor that is rated at 500mA - higher than most other units that just use the driver inside the 555 chip(100-200mA). [NE555 squarewave] Sourced from ebay (a dozen sellers have this- I'm sure from the same factory)

So here is the block diagram. [block diagram for DIY coil driver] Battery power goes through a fuse (7.5A) & splits to the COP (+) & a momentary switch. From the switch power goes through a diode for reverse-polarity protection, then to a DC-DC buck regulator - converter [Mini DC-DC buck converter] - also ebay. The adjustable converter is set to reduce voltage from 12V to 5V. 5V into the NE555 generator produces my 5V squarewave. There is a 1/4W resistor (about 100 ohms) in the output ckt to protect the 555 unit from shorting the signal to ground (overload).

There you have it. I find it's a nice tool to have- not often but sometimes. For about $15 plus some scrounged bits. Connect the power, ground(s) & signal leads, add a spark gap tester, then hit the button.

Chris from New Jersey

Files Referenced:

thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail

9 Replies Received (View Replies)