× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Finding battery draw with thermal camera
Posted to Tool & Equipment Forum on 9/15/2015 64 Replies

Well I figured I would post these pictures , it works. I read a while back about thermal cameras and ended up buying a flir e5 thermal camera probly year or so ago. We mostly have used it for bearings on drive lines and engines. I remembered reading some one using it for battery draws. I actually have used it twice in a couple weeks for draws. The first one ended up being a alternator which was pretty quick find. I usually make sure the vehicle has sat over night so its cold [relatively same temp in/out front to back] and give a quick look with camera. The alternator stuck right out. Know yesterday I had a 08 dodge 5500 that has a dump deck and is highly modified for oil field. 90 ma to 100 ma draw. So this morning decided to get camera out and within about 5 minutes had my draw [auto shut down for engine over rev limiter]. Here is the pictures from under the dash with thermal camera and iphone. Unplugged module and we went from 95 ma to 20 ma. [Thermal camera] [Thermal image] . I would not suggest go out and say buy one because its going to be the go to tool because I must admit we have only used it a handful of times. This is the one time I could say it defiantly helped.

Roger from Alberta

Files Referenced:

thumbnail thumbnail

64 Replies Received (View Replies)