× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Re: vpn , what does it do ?
Posted to PC Users Forum on 3/31/2018 1 Reply

I do share your concern as well. There are some precautions I take to minimize my exposure to online theft. First I have one computer (laptop) that I use specifically for financial online access. I then use firefox with only two add-ons and always check to make sure no other has been added. The purpose of these add-ons is like stopping hackers from looking over your should while you're at an ATM. Also make sure the operating system is kept up to date, very important.

1. NoScript (noscript.net) - this program automatically blocks any script from running on your browser. Once you have arrived on the website you know, you will allow scripts from this site to run temporarily or permanently. Allow one at a time until you have the ability to use the site. 2. uBlock Origin by Raymond Hill - This will block advertising from running. One of way Advertiser have been hacked, hackers can take over links and place pictures on your computer. These pictures have hidden coding that will allow a hacker to take over your computer and most just want to monitor your activity (look over your shoulder at the ATM). This is just one example.

There was a third, flashblock, but flash updating has been taken over by Microsoft and most of the web has turned to HTML5 for video which is much safer.

If you wish to stay informed I would suggest you look into one of the first online tech webcaster website. Leo LePort and Steve Gibson have been my gurus since they were on TechTV back in the 90's. You can find them at TWIT.TV, TWIT stands for This Week In Tech. There are several shows and Security Now is what you may want to watch or listen to as I do.

Henry DeHoyos
Consultant/Educator/Instructor
Microsoft Datacenter
San Antonio, Texas, USA

1 Replies Received (View Replies)