× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
COMPUTER POWER SUPPLY INFO NEEDED FOR SUN-500
Posted to PC Users Forum on 12/22/2017 10 Replies

I I have an old Sun 500 which I still use but the system's computer power supply is going screwy so I need to change it.I have worked on many computers over the years so changing the power supply is no problem.This unit uses a ATX power supply with a 20 pin main connector.My dismay is it also has an extra 6 pin connector which plugs in right above the 20 pin connector.The six pin connector has 3 holes on top & 3 on bottom with the 3 bottom holes with pins installed.These pins are the only ones that have wires in this plug.I can't fine any power supplies wired this way & don't know what this extra plug actually does.All replacement power supplies do not have this connector that I have found.Listed below is a copy of an E-mail I have sent top a few companies which make replacement power supplies but I have received no good replies.

[Sun 500 Computer Power Supply Connections] [Sun 500 power supply] [Sun 500 Power supply] [Sun 500 main computer]

I have a Powertech 330 watt power supply PT # PT-6235DX3A for an older computer which I need to replace because it will not power up either in the computer or manually on the 115 voltage setting but will power up on the 230 voltage setting disconnected from computer.I have checked outputs & they are all normal when it does power up on the 230 voltage setting with all output voltages DC being where they should be on all wires which are the exact same on another 200 watt power supply that I have either on the 115 or 230 voltage settings.

Now a few questions...

1) Can I leave the powertech supply on the 230 voltage setting & run it to power my computer as normal as if it were on the 115 voltage setting? I see amps are lower on the 230 setting though.Will that have much effect on the computer's performance if able to use the supply on the 230 voltage setting? 2) I see your replacements for this unit & I would buy one but my unit has an extra 6 prong cable on it which no other supplies I have searched extensively have yours included.The connector is a 3 pin on top with 3 pin under the top 3.There no wires in the top 3 holes with BROWN-BLUE-WHITE on the bottom row.The power readings on these wires are...3.2 volts on the BROWN , 4.3 volts on the BLUE & ..2.5 volts on the white. This extra connector is a necessity for my computer.Also my power supply has an extra small circuit board which ties into that extra special connector inside the powertech power supply.I can't find any info on this extra connector or what it is actually for.

I would buy a new supply if I could find one that matches my original unit.Any help in this matter would greatly be appreciated as I have searched endlessly for info on this extra connector that is on my unit but have come up empty so far & I don't want to purchase a new unit if it will not work for my unit.I also don't want to fry my motherboard or anything else in my computer for that matter as this computer powers an expensive automotive diagnostic machine.

3) What is this 6 pin connector do or power up with regards to this particular unit? I have hunted on the net extensively to no avail.

Maybe someone from Sun or anybody on ITAN who originally designed this unit can tell me what this extra 6 pin connector does & how it applies to the computer usage for my Sun-500. Thanks in advance for any help.Sorry for the extended read but I am up against a wall on this one this is why I decided to post on ITAN for any help or input.Also I really want to fix the old Sun Machine too.

Arthur Margotta
Owner/Technician
AJ.'s Ultralights, Automotive & Sport Vehicles
Thompson, Pennsylvania, USA

Files Referenced:

thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail

10 Replies Received (View Replies)