× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Re: Got a case of deja-vu (at least for Danny)
Posted to Emissions Forum on 3/13/2014 1 Reply

Well, I hope that I don't get crucified for 'allowing' this to happen, but I felt the need to update you all on this Taurus.

I stated that I refuse to load the parts cannon on vehicles that I cannot fix. I don't consider myself to be remarkably 'special', by either definition of that term, and I am not too proud to admit defeat. But, when I came back to work the next morning, the parts cannon had already been pre-loaded for me, with a remanufactured MAF sensor.

Apparently, my boss and the customer decided together that we would follow a "diagnose through treatment" strategy, kind of a Dr. House type of thing. I was instructed to install it and recheck, which I did. I made sure that I got at least two freeway on-ramps under its belt to update the BARO PID, then performed a manual-mode ASM 5015. The live scan data looked just as bad as before (stuck rich), but the 5-gas numbers were significantly better! I let it idle for at least three or four minutes, then ran the official test.

I am utterly convinced that this vehicle is not controlling fuel properly (at least during ASM), but the results are hard to ignore:

[1998 Ford Taurus LX, Emissions Infrared Data]

I hope that my flame suit is up for the abuse!

Sincerely,

Michael Barry
Technician
Quick Stop Smog & More
Sacramento, California, USA

Files Referenced:

thumbnail

1 Replies Received (View Replies)