× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Re: 06 Scion EVAP Codes
Posted to Emissions Forum on 3/12/2013 1 Reply

[...trimmed text...]

It does, Rick. Thank you for that.

Here's one from today that didn't take much time to diagnose (this one's dedicated to Johnny M.):

[2002 Toyota Tundra Limited, Emissions Infrared Data]

This is a potential DAD vehicle for next year, which didn't have a decent diagram of the canister on the under-hood label (due to the fact that the hood was from an '03 V6). I don't have a cell phone, so I couldn't take a picture of it, but the routing certainly looked 'wrong'. Alldata didn't provide me with a camera-eye view of the canister either, but their functional view confirmed my suspicions.

The idle was erratic, but I made it through ASM, as a gross polluter for CO%. Just for s**ts and giggles, I ran a generic scan on it before returning it to the customer with the bad news:

[2002 Toyota Tundra Limited, Scan Data]

There were no DTCs (in mode 3 or 7, I checked both), and all of the monitors had run and passed.

The customer authorized me to correct the canister routing issue, and I quickly discovered that it was completely saturated with liquid fuel, which I traced to crossed vent and fuel return hoses near the tank. I don't know if the canister suffered permanent damage, but a replacement was authorized as well. Why the EVAP and fuel control monitors didn't set any DTCs is an unsolved mystery, since these tampers looked to have been done some time ago.

Perhaps the lesson to be learned here is that the visual portion of the proposed DAD inspection process will remain as an important component ... hopefully all of those fresh-out-of-training DAD techs have what it takes to do the job properly!

Sincerely,

Michael Barry
Technician
Quick Stop Smog & More
Sacramento, California, USA

Files Referenced:

thumbnail thumbnail

1 Replies Received (View Replies)