× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Re: Smog Check Complaint
Posted to Emissions Forum on 8/15/2012 2 Replies

Rereading my post, I realized that I should have probably said 'thousands'.

Check this one out. A nice young Hispanic guy came in for an inspection. It failed, and we offered to diagnose it for him. He declined, paid for the inspection, and left.

[Failed VIR]

The next day, he returned for his free retest, claiming that he had fixed it. I retested it with the same exact routine, on the same exact equipment, and, lo and behold, it appears that he did exactly what he said!

[After "repairs" VIR]

I did NOT do anything differently from the first test to the next. I did not participate in the diagnostic or repair process whatsoever. I have no idea what he did to 'fix' it; maybe a fresh set of Bosch "supers" and/or some "Sea Foam", but that's just conjecture.

Scenarios very similar to this are weekly, and sometimes daily occurrences at my shop. I can easily imagine this kind of nonsense having a negative effect on my FuPR, but what can I do about it? When I am asked to re-test a vehicle, I re-test the vehicle. It passes or it fails, with no personal prejudices. I added the sarcastic comment at the bottom of the second test, for those sarcasm connoisseurs amongst us.

The guy thanked us and went about his merry way; I don't think that he 'got' my comment, but English probably wasn't his first language anyway. He is a nice guy, and I wish him well; I doubt that he would have been offended by the comment anyway, since he got what he needed.

Sincerely,

Michael Barry
Technician
Quick Stop Smog & More
Sacramento, California, USA

Files Referenced:

thumbnail thumbnail

2 Replies Received (View Replies)