× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Small batteries, mowers, ATV and motorcycles
Posted to Technical Tips Forum on 4/24/2020 18 Replies

Hello to all, hope everyone is safe.

With yard cutting and motorcycle riding coming into full swing around the country, I thought I would share a little trick I use for those pesky slide in retainer nuts on most of the batteries.

I cannot recall how many times I have fought the sliding nut plates so I could get the bolt and cables attached.

One day I got wise and realized I had a soft drain tube for a cap fill style battery and what I did was cut of about a 1/2 inch piece and wedged it under the nut while sliding it into place. Bam! problem solved. The little piece of tubing holds the nut up and will not allow to move freely. Makes easy work of putting the cable bolts in.

I found this especially helpful on ATV's and Motorcycles with multiple power leads on the POS. cable. Now I keep this tubing handy when I have extra, it works.

Aside from that, coat the cable ends and posts with grease so corrosion will not set in.

Glenn A. Hunt
Consultant/Owner
Automotive Doc's
Devine, Texas, USA

18 Replies Received (View Replies)