× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Fuse box covers
Posted to Technical Tips Forum on 3/23/2019 21 Replies

Have you ever looked at you tool tray, top of the box or work bench and see a lone fuse box cover lying there? No vehicle in the bay or in the lot that you remember it came from?

For those quick diagnostic types who throw the engine bay fuse box cover on the work bench or tray, then forget about it... I had a beauty today. A customer called me for. A 2010 Ford F350, with a no crank and a funny noise coming from under the hood even with the key off.

The truck was recently purchased and the customer had extra lights added to the front and a towing brake controller, front grille guard, headache rack and a few other "farm truck items".

I went to check out the truck and sure enough it was setting there with doors closed, no lights on and I could hear the faint click of a relay. First glance, I saw the fuse box was exposed. No cover to be found. I felt around the tops of the relays and pulled the one in question making the noise.

I noticed the "green" signs of electrical death on the pins of the relay and the fuse box. I pulled a couple more and the same thing. I opened each one and it was obvious they were corroded to death and full of water. I placed a jumper box on the truck so I could attempt to run communications with the computer... would not ID or read. I tried a couple of different methods and could only get some has built data.

To cut to the chase: the fuse box on this model is located just below the driver side hood hinge. We have had quite a good year for rain here in South TX. Without the cover on the fuse box, it got a constant soaking with rain running down into the engine bay because there is no hood seal on the sides.

Food for thought: If it has a fuse box cover, make sure you put it back on. I have seen this happen a couple of times to different vehicles.

This one will require a fuse box, relays and possible harness depending on how far the corrosion damage has traveled. The customer is still deciding what to do. Regardless, it will have to be towed to me or the dealer for proper repair

Glenn from Texas

21 Replies Received (View Replies)