× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
G.M. Vehicles With Loop Resistance Problems
Posted to Technical Tips Forum on 4/7/2016 87 Replies

Most late model G.M. vehicles have inflatable restraint loop resistances that can be accessed through a scanner. This greatly facilitates diagnosis/repairs. Today, I worked on a 2016 Chevrolet Equinox with 6 miles that had a SIR lamp and service warning on during PDI.

Step 1 ... What code is set?

[CODE SET]

OK - B001A-0E - driver's side seat belt anchor pre-tensioner loop resistance low.

Step 2 - Check resistance of pre-tensioner loops. I selected loops 1 -14 to check with GDS2.

[Resistance Readings]

All loops have about 2.5 ohms resistance except for loop 7 which is low at .4 ohm. The problem could be anywhere from the SDM to the anchor pre-tensioner or associated wiring harnesses.

Step 3 - Check for a grounded harness under the seat. I graphed the resistance while gently moving and wiggling the harness under the seat.

[Resistance Loop 7]

No change noted there. We can start testing from either end of the circuit, but, since I'm already under the seat, let's just unplug the anchor pre-tensioner first.

Step 4 - unplug pre-tensioner

[Unplugging Pre-tensioner]

Well, that's pretty obvious isn't it? The tensioner is internally shorted. Time to replace the anchor and retest.

Step 5 - Confirm Repair

[New Pre-tensioner]

Loop 7 is now in the normal range and the service light is off. Just need to clear the code and ship it. A lot easier than plugging in resistors or simulators, isn't it?

James from Florida

Files Referenced:

thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail

87 Replies Received (View Replies)