× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
VW electric parking brake servicing
Posted to Technical Tips Forum on 3/24/2015 30 Replies

I just figured I'd share my recent experiences on replacing the brake pads on this one. I only found one post that mentioned using reverse polarity on the motors to back them off when an OE scan tool isn't available. I've got Euro software on my Solus Pro, but it doesn't have much for the brakes in it and no bidirectional controls.

Basically, the motors just need to be unplugged and using a power probe, apply a ground and power. If they move & stop, reverse the polarity and run the motor until it stops in the opposite direction. They're gear reduction, so it takes a little while to run them all the way back. Take note that the motor does not pull the piston in. It only pushes it out. When the parking brake motor is fully retracted, you then push the piston in. When the new pads are installed and the caliper is back on, then run the motor back in until it locks the rotor, then bump the motor back the other way just until the rotor frees up. Another thing to remember is cleanliness of the connector. I found it only takes a small amount of grit to prevent the connector from snapping back into place.

Just to be safe, I took the key in the office and kept it there in case it could cause the CAN system to awaken during the servicing.

Gene Whitsel
Owner/Technician
Gene's Automotive Repair & Detail Shop
Royse City, Texas, USA

30 Replies Received (View Replies)

car Vehicle Data

2010 Volkswagen Passat Komfort 2.0L

Engine2.0 L
Trans6-speed Automatic (Electronic)

car Vehicle Data

2010 Volkswagen Passat Komfort 2.0L

Engine2.0 L