× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
P0420 and exhaust leaks
Posted to Technical Tips Forum on 6/5/2014 24 Replies

Over the years I have learned many great things from the iATN gurus . The P0420 testing tactics have evolved over the years and have morphed into a pretty simple trouble tree . The Input of many people way smarter than myself seem to agree on a few easy steps. One of them being the presence of exhaust leaks. As you already know some exhaust leaks are rather hard to find .

Using a tactic I took from a less than great class seems to be a real blessing to me. This class wasn't all that bad as I took this tactic away using air pressure to search for exhaust leaks.

I'm using the exhaust cone from a redline smoke pro and a simple regulator that I usually dial in at 10 PSI. It seems I have found more exhaust leaks and hence fixed P0420 codes in the last year than ever before. Its very nice because you don't get burnt by hot exhaust and seems to really make this task very easy.

Exhaust leak tool

This may have been brought up already and If so I apologize =) If you have not tried this you really owe it to yourself to try it.

Enjoy TTF creepers !

Mike from Ohio

Files Referenced:

thumbnail

24 Replies Received (View Replies)