× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
BMW Active steering / dynamic drive pump
Posted to Technical Tips Forum on 2/19/2014 4 Replies

I had a 07 530i in yesterday with noisy power steering, lots of bubbles, and overflowing when car was shut off. It would quiet down when cold, and stop overflowing, but still had a bunch of bubbles.

I noticed residue on the pump, but not a lot. Fluid was everywhere from overflowing. The suction hose was cracked, but not too the point it would leak or suck in air. They wanted to start there with the understanding the pump may be bad. Upon replacement I noticed 2 bolts were loose that held a mounting bracket to the pump, as well as holding the pump body together. I tightened the bolts, and seems to have fixed the problem. The intake of the pump is on the rear, and it seemed to be sucking air in through the pump housing seem.

This should apply to all 5 6 and 7's with either active steering, or dynamic drive. Here is a pic with the loose bolts circled.

Just in case anyone runs into this and searches. I didn't turn up anything in my search. [2007 BMW 530i, Photo]

Alan Maultsby
Technician
Peak Auto
Apex, North Carolina, USA

Files Referenced:

thumbnail

4 Replies Received (View Replies)