× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
2011 Ford Escape Left Inner transaxle seal leaking
Posted to Technical Tips Forum on 1/31/2014 26 Replies

I have been seeing a few of these vehicles lately with the exact same problem where the left Inner transaxle seal is leaking. The fix is NOT just replacing the left inner transaxle seal. If you do decide to just replace the seal there is a very good possibility it will be back the next day leaking again.(grins) The problem is that the inner transaxle bushing wears out and also causes wear to the inner CV joint which compromises the seal. Here is a picture of the bushing that wears out.

2011 Ford Escape Limited, Transmission Photo

Ford indeed has a TSB on this exact situation.(TSB# 12-11-6)

It applies to the

2010-2012 Fusion

2009-2012 Escape

2010-2011 Milan

2009-2011 Mariner

The post is meant to give anyone that has not seen this problem a heads up on the repair before just selling a left inner transaxle seal thinking it will correct the leak. I have uploaded some pictures to show some details of the problems and the repair.

Here is the Kit ford sells to correct the problem.

Here was a close up picture of one of the inner CV joints showing some wear.

The bushing can be a little tricky to remove without Fords special tool. Here I improvised removing the bushing.

I took some measurements of the worn inner transaxle bushing on a couple different vehicles.

Here is the new bushing thickness

Once you install the new bushing and seal and change over the inner CV joint. Your leak will be fixed.

The complete kit from Ford was very reasonable in price.

I hope this post might help someone down the road.

Kevin from Manitoba

Files Referenced:

thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail

26 Replies Received (View Replies)