× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Ford Tear Tags, Rebuilt PCMs, NASTF 519
Posted to Technical Tips Forum on 6/22/2013 23 Replies

My position as "NAPA Flash" exposes me to all levels of technicians, parts and circumstances regarding vehicle modules and installations. I program new, rebuilt and even used modules for our local customer base. Some ECMs are only available through the oem dealer network; which lead to my filing an NASTF information request.

I was called to do a pmi (programmable module installation) on a Ford vehicle. The replacement module was a rebuilt unit from Ford. The instructions with the unit were very specific; use the tear tag to correctly program the replacement unit. Ford replacement module instructions The pcm had been replaced with another unit, all tags had been removed. The tear tag was barely legible; but I could read some of the letters. I verified the tear tag by inspecting 2 other vehicles in the customers fleet.

What about next time, when there were no labels, tag or fleet vehicles to use for information? I tried to discover if there was a method to obtain tear tag codes through VIN information. I did not receive any positive answers. I then e-mailed the Motorcraft IDS help line. I was told to take the car to the local dealer. I reviewed all of my information, or lack of information and decided to file an Information Request with NASTF. Even after I quoted the instructions contained in the Ford replacement module; Ford informed NASTF that there was no way to obtain tear tag information. NASTF closed my request because no one, even Ford dealers, could obtain the needed information in an official manner.

I responded to the Ford representative that I was amazed that and authorized Ford dealers and certified Ford techs were left to their own devices to correctly program a replacement module. Further correspondence from Ford stated they would research this information gap.

While pondering my next move, I received a e-mail from Mr Kevin Brady, IDS Director, Ford Engineering operations, acknowledging the information gap and the proposed fix. Tear tag information would be included in most as built listings. Response from Ford

Here is the result. replacement Ford module replacement module from Ford, replacement module tear tag with different tear tag. Tear tag on cowl Original tear tag on vehicle, hard to read, will soon fall of vehicle. Vehicle vin sticker Vehicle getting replacement module, Ford as built request , requesting tear tag info, as built information with tear tag . As built info with tear tag.

Thanks to Ford for addressing the problem and providing a speedy resolution.

I would advise to use the tear tag method on every Ford module replacement.

Michael from New Jersey

Files Referenced:

thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail

23 Replies Received (View Replies)