× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
electronic throttle test
Posted to Technical Tips Forum on 12/3/2012 45 Replies

As a diagnostic tech, there are a few things I really don't like. One is intermittant faults, two is diagnosis by substitution. Yet the two often go hand in hand. If you can't find a fault, you can't show-prove what the cause is. So you can either send it out NTF, or try replacing the "most likely cause". My thought is that if you change nothing on a vehicle, then there is no reason for the symptom to NOT return- eventually. But I really want to get a "smoking gun" if I can.

Now it might be an educated guess for replacing a part, but it's still a guess. That seems to be the case too often on parts such as the electronic throttle body assemblies. Most are fairly "simple"- a reversible motor with dual TPS sensors. Yet I seldom have had any luck capturing proof of a glitch- be it TPS or motor codes. So I have replaced the TB units ( they ARE high wear item) & sent them on their way- so far all have been no further trouble.

A few weeks back a 2010 Mercury Milan 3.0L came in with a MIL & complaint of intermittant no throttle response- car would idle-only until restarted. Pcm had a P2111- Throttle Actuator stuck open."the throttle angle does not match the angle commanded"- Possible causes are TB (bind), pcm, wiring open, short, etc.

Of coarse it won't act up for me. The code flow chart has you perform a bunch of continuity tests that might help if there was a hard fault- all tests pass. Pin drag tests were OK, Since a couple tests were for the TPS's, I swept them on the scope- both looked fine. (towards the end of the chart it says to replace the TB assembly & have a nice day)

I thought about the code description & tests- this wasn't a TPS fault code, it was a motor circuit code. I reasoned that the pcm could only be detecting a hi or low current condition. I threw the low amp clamp over a motor wire & got current spikes that varied & inverted as the pcm supplied PWM +/- to open-hold-close the throttle blade. see the first waveform. [2010 Mercury Milan Premier, ECM/Inputs/Outputs Waveform]

Looking closer, I found a couple spots where the spikes were cut short & looked ragged. Something was bad, but I wasn't 100% sure what- motor? pcm driver? (didn't look quite right for a wiring fault, but I didn't have time right then to look at the pcm-motor voltage patterns on the scope) see second waveform. [2010 Mercury Milan Premier, ECM/Inputs/Outputs Waveform]

Since I wanted to test the throttle body without the pcm & wiring, it finally dawned on me to treat it like any other motor- feed it power & ground then look at the pattern on the scope. I hooked test leads to the TB connector, but fed it through a #912 bulb- that allows a enough current to open the blade, but limits it to about 1 amp when it reaches full travel so I don't hurt the motor or geartrain. I got the third waveform- which shows the bad commutator bar in the motor very clearly. [2010 Mercury Milan Premier, ECM/Inputs/Outputs Waveform]

So here is an easy test to check the health of this direct pcm controlled type TB motor. Like fuel pump waveforms, this isn't 100% yes-or-no, but if it looks really bad then you know (& can show) that the part does need to be replaced.

Chris from New Jersey

Files Referenced:

thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail

45 Replies Received (View Replies)