× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Intermittent Phantom ABS
Posted to Technical Tips Forum on 6/7/2011 14 Replies

I've had 10 of these GM platform vehicles in the last 2 months with a complaint of phantom ABS and/or ABS/Traction lights illumating on turns. Out of the 10, only one (05 Lacross) had a history code of C0240. Some were quick to duplicate and others (like this Lacross) could easily of been NPF's

Being they were intermittent and since I've seen this before, I went straight to the wiring harnesses for the front sensors, where they connect with the sensor. This is what I found on all 10 of these vehicles.

First I marked the conduit in the middle of the bend [L/F mark] and this particular L/F is good [Good sheath] as the sheath is still intact. Looking at the R/F I find this [ABS sensor wiring] The broken sheath inside the conduit is a dead givaway. After removing the sheath I start bending the wire and have found that if it will only bend this far [Bending wire] then that particular part is good. So continuing down the harness I bend here and get this [Broken wire] If it bends together like this, you've found your break. Notice the insulation is intact. On this Lacross both Right side wires were broken [Both broken] Simple wiring repair is all that's needed.

Out of the 10 this is the only one that had both wires broken. 7 had 1 wire broken on the R/F, 1 had 1 broken on the L/F, 1 had wires broken on both sides, and this 1 had em both broke on the R/F.

D.

Darrell from Tennessee

Files Referenced:

thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail

14 Replies Received (View Replies)