Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Snap-On Recovery Machine Problems
Posted to HVAC Forum on 3/24/2014 14 Replies

Howdy all,

I recently purchased a used Snap-On EEAC316A Recovery Machine. This machine does not feature a separate vacuum pump; it uses a cubigel compressor to do both cycles. Upon receiving the machine, I promptly changed the master filter. I also changed the compressor oil. I then put a deep vacuum on the 50lb recovery tank to pull out any moisture that was in it from sitting. The previous owner had fabricated a line connecting the outlet of the vacuum purge solenoid to the outlet of the tank air purge solenoid. I couldn't get an answer from the previous owner as to why the line was installed. After following the hose routing diagram I realized that the line did not belong on the machine and I removed it. I then powered the machine up and prepared to fill the onboard recovery tank with refrigerant. I began the recovery process but the machine stalled after retrieving only two and a half pounds from the virgin tank. I closed the hand valves but it continued to hold around 30psi on the low side. I also noticed that the compressor was EXTREMELY hot. I shut the machine off and let it sit a while. I vented the remaining refrigerant in the lines a few hours later and tried a vacuum cycle. It will vacuum to 25 in hg but it is definitely not recovering correctly. I verified this by charging just the lines in the machine and attempting to recover them. It will draw down from 75psi to around 15psi on the low side and just sit at the recovery process. Also, the compressor will get very hot. I verified operations of all three solenoids; the tank purge solenoid, the vacuum solenoid, and the oil solenoid (for the compressor oil, not oil drain). I have scoured the entire internet and I can't seem to locate a solution to this problem. All I can think is that the compressor has been damaged from the incorrect line installation from the first owner. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks community.

Kellyn Karr
Karr Automotive LLC
Cape Coral, Florida, USA

14 Replies Received (View Replies)