Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Help with 4 post Hydra Lift Problem
Posted to Tool & Equipment Forum on 10/19/2015 13 Replies

Hi Friends. Please help me with a problem. I have a Hydra Lift 4 post lift Model 88CB, rated at 12.000 Lbs / 5455 Kg capacity. It was out of service for several years, and we rebuilt it. Sand blast, paint, replaced hoses, pipes and restored to service again. It started to work normally, but now I have 2 problems: We have a fleet of F-450 and 550, and GMC C5500, to deliver LPG bottles. The Fords empty, with the frame cage weights 4.440 Kg. The GMC empty weights 4.840 Kg. Other Ford 550 which have a Utility Body and a crane, weights 5.360 Kg. I do not feel comfortable lifting the crane truck. But the others the lift SHOULD be able to lift them without problem. But not. The 4.440 Kg truck only rises until the first safety lock, and no more. The pump continues to turn, the electrical breaker does not trip, but the lift not rise more. The pipe going to the cylinder becomes hot, and nothing more. I have to leave rest in the 1st lock, raise again to release lock, and lower the truck. I am using Dexron III as recommended. My question is if it can be the pump does not have enough pressure to lift the load? I do not feel the pressure safety valve is opening, since I can feel the pipe and fluid inside becomes hot. I will try to remove the oil container and see if the pressure safety valve opens under load.

The other problem is the cylinder piston seal gave up. Maybe it was dry for storage, and now blew and leak a lot. I removed the seal , and is a Hallite Seal, but I am having a hard time finding those seals, even from the manufacturer and its dealers. Has been almost impossible.

Please give me your opinion what I should do.

Thank You.

Alvaro Jaimes
Stern Automotive Enterprises N.V.
Orangestad, Aruba

13 Replies Received (View Replies)