Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Posted to Educators' Forum on 6/3/2015 16 Replies

Today I took the L-3 ASE exam and was told I had a four hour time limit. I thought great that is plenty of time imagine my surprise when the test timed out at two hours! I spoke with the Prometric staff and they did not know what to say. They have given me a reference and phone number to call but not until the next day when there report has had time to be received.

I will report back what the outcome is.

Has anyone else had this problem?

The other thing I did not like was they did not give you a hard copy of the composite vehicle booklet. You had to click a tab at the bottom to view the reference material and scroll up and down the document. This is not a real word IE MASTER AUTOMOTIVE TECHNICIANS mode of operation in my opinion. I don't know about you but when I have a hybrid that I am trouble shooting, I am printing out schematics, trouble shooting procedures, system operation and technical service bulletins not necessarily in that order but bottom line is I have a hybrid in font of me with a problem (just like a test question) then I have my printed material that I am refuting to as I trouble shoot the vehicle. Maybe I am old school but I am never clicking from one screen to the other back and forth phenomenal waist of time if you ask me. What do you think?

I know they are probably trying to save money and trees but when I recertified my ASE L-1 I got a booklet and it had more pages than the L-3 so I expected the same also only had 55 questions expected a hundred.

Most dealership technicians are telling me they are letting there ASE expire the manufacture is not requiring them just the manufactures certifications. If ASE wants all technicians to be certified they better start paying attention to there customers the technicians and not just making new test areas to make money or more and more technicians will drop or never even take ASE exams.

Jonathan Yourga
Chapter 74 Certified Automotive Technology
Northampton, Massachusetts, USA

16 Replies Received (View Replies)