Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Second opinion for my scope troubles
Posted to Snap-on Handheld Users Group on 3/24/2016 60 Replies

Hello all , I hope everyone is doing well. The reason for this, post is a problem with my Verus Edge scope. I recently have been using this tool to practice taking waveforms. The first problem was mainly the ignition scope. I have a sia 2000 lead set, and conventional ignition lead set from Snap on. When graphing the sec patterns I found the scope to not cooperate. I have used the setup tab to identify the system type and firing order, plug/coil everytime. That being said when I have the scope running I only have it for a few brief moments. The system shuts the active meter screen off and reverts a page back to the meter type selection screen. The time it takes to do this varies. Seconds to minutes. Called the techs at snap on and was instructed to load the program 2 different ways to make the tablet happy over the phone as a solution. I got the point try some software changes first ,then consider the issue legitimate. Next step was they wanted the unit back for analysis. A month later the dealer hands me a brand new verus edge. The very first time I used it I had the same problem but worse. Ignition scope was still bad, except now the labscope has the same problem. I uploaded a demo of what happens. Channel 1 is the crank sensor, channel 2 is the cam sensor ,channel 3 is primary coil control all back probed at the ecm. Channel 4 is primary ignition current. The engine is a 4.3l lpg fueled forklift with a hei ignition system. Snap-on has not got back to me after I apprised them of the situation. My only concern is if I am in fact making an error. I am getting teased at work and it's frustrating. So if anybody could view the video and critic my physical connections I would appreciate it. Also I made sure the setup info for the ignition system was accurate. Even though I did not look at sec voltage waveforms. The issue could be the tool. I want to cover myself so I do not embarrass myself with this issue.

Joseph Quattrocchi
Staten Island, New York, USA

60 Replies Received (View Replies)