× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Benefit is H-pipe in exhaust? 350 SBC in particular!
Posted to Technical Discussion Forum on 2/19/2019 13 Replies

Hey all..

In the middle of a "fun" project for a customer, '72 Toyota FJ55, swapping in a 350 SBC from Chevy and NV4500 5 speed trans mated up with stock 3 spd transfer case. Currently, I have both banks of the exhaust plumbed through ram horn style manifold and the pipes just going straight back. There is no cross-over in the exhaust piping. The car runs decent (have it timed properly, just need to dial in fuel), but I've been reading all over about how having an H-pipe some how evens out the pulses in the exhaust? Will this have any benefit or is it all BS? I'm a younger tech much more versed in the world of FI but 'dabble' in older tech. Can anyone clear this up for me? Should I be putting a cross over between both banks? I haven't had a chance to take the truck out on the road yet but it does start with some coaxing and holds an idle pretty well.

Thanks in advance!

Derrick Weng
Manager/Technician
Prospect Exxon
West Orange, New Jersey, USA

13 Replies Received (View Replies)