× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
2014 Cruze GMLAN Fault
Posted to Technical Discussion Forum on 6/20/2015 13 Replies

Here's a quick Cruze GMLAN repair that may help someone not used to dealing with GMLAN on a daily basis.

A 2014 Cruze was driven in with a complaint of "Service Power Steering System" and "Service Traction System" warnings illuminated along with the ABS, Brakes and Traction lamps illuminated.

A fast scan with GDS shows this... 2014 Chevrolet Cruze LS, ECM/Inputs/Outputs Scan Data

Looks like the EBCM doesn't want to talk to anybody. Lets look at the Diagnostic Data Bus Tool .... 2014 Chevrolet Cruze LS, ECM/Inputs/Outputs Scan Data

OK - that confirms it - hows the high speed data lines look? 2014 Chevrolet Cruze LS, ECM/Inputs/Outputs Scan Data

Well, obviously a problem exists. The four items that any high speed GMLAN module needs to communicate over the network are power, ground, data lines, and discrete communications enable signal voltage. Checking the resistance between terminals 6 and 14 in the DLC shows 61 ohms and all other high speed modules are communicating so data line problems are unlikely

I unplugged the EBCM and checked both B+ inputs with a test lamp - OK - Looking at the single ground connection, I saw the terminal partially unseated and backed out. Why? It was probably not fully seated on initial assembly but was touching well enough for a connection. There was a large dent on the left front fender in the area of the EBCM. Possibly this completed the unseating of the terminal. I popped the CPA out and fully seated the terminal and reseated the CPA. It locked in place well. After reassembling, all the lights went out and I cleared all codes and took another look at the High Speed data lines. 2014 Chevrolet Cruze LS, ECM/Inputs/Outputs Scan Data

Fast and easy - Probably a 30 minute diagnosis and repair. Hope it helps someone out in the future.

James from Florida

Files Referenced:

thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail

13 Replies Received (View Replies)

car Vehicle Data

2014 Chevrolet Cruze LS 1.8L

Engine1.8 L
Trans6-speed Automatic (Electronic)

car Vehicle Data

2014 Chevrolet Cruze LS 1.8L

Engine1.8 L
Trans6-speed Automatic (Electronic)