× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Used BCM in G.M. Products
Posted to Technical Discussion Forum on 2/23/2015 21 Replies

Stay away from used BCM's in G.M. vehicles. You may get away with it for a while on older vehicles but there will always be one that bites you hard.

Today, a 2005 Colorado came in from a Toyota dealer. It is one of their used cars. It originally had 104,000 miles until they touched it. From what I was told, it had some type of lighting concern and one of their techs diagnosed it as a bad BCM. Naturally, they purchased a used BCM. When the BCM was plugged in and the vehicle driven, the speedometer reading changed to 220,000 miles and the SES light came on. The radio also locked up and stopped operating.

After is was shut down, it would not restart at all. They towed it to a nearby shop who installed, programmed and set up a new OEM BCM. The speedometer stayed at 220,000 miles. The truck runs now, but the SES stays on and the radio is still inop.

They towed it to us next. I hope that they're ready to spend some money...... :)

James from Florida

21 Replies Received (View Replies)