× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
2014 Silverado Puzzler
Posted to Technical Discussion Forum on 2/16/2015 87 Replies

Here's an interesting case. A 2014 Silverado came in today with an interesting problem. It has a 4.3 engine with 14,000 miles. The complaint was service charging system and low battery message coming on in the DIC. I drove it in the shop and the low battery message was on. The truck cranked and started normally. The gauge on the dash read about 14.5 volts running.

i tested the battery with the GR-8 and it passed. The battery voltage with key off was 12.68 volts - fully charged. Running, the voltage was at 13.9 volts. I scanned for codes and found this....

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT, BATT/Charging/Starting Scan Data

Interesting..... Next I looked at EPM data in the BCM and saw this

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT, BATT/Charging/Starting Scan Data

The code would not clear with the engine running. With key on, engine off, it would clear for about 5 seconds and reset as current. Everything else worked normally on this vehicle and there were no aftermarket add-on devices. This vehicle is repaired but I had to spend more than G.M.'s .3 diagnostic time on it. how would you diagnose this problem?

James from Florida

Files Referenced:

thumbnail thumbnail

87 Replies Received (View Replies)

car Vehicle Data

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT 4.3L

Engine4.3 L
Trans6-speed Automatic (Electronic)

car Vehicle Data

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT 4.3L

Engine4.3 L
Trans6-speed Automatic (Electronic)