Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
DRBIII no response from BCM
Posted to Technical Discussion Forum on 1/24/2015 4 Replies

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with this one. I had a 99 Cirrus 2.4L in the other day with a fuel gauge problem. A previous shop had replaced the fuel tank sender and then installed a used BCM to try and fix the problem. The car is a non SKIM and non VTSS vehicle so the car started and ran, but the fuel gauge still did not work. The key fobs did not work and the mileage was 70000 km more than it was supposed to be. That's when the customer got fed up and brought the car to us. I recently bought a WiTech with DRBIII emulator software, so I thought maybe the mileage and key fobs could be programmed. (I have since searched the archives and realize that is not possible). When I hooked up the WiTech, it would communicate with the PCM, but not the BCM or IPC. (no response). When I hooked up the Modus, there was not an option for a 2.4L in 1999, so I used 2000. Instructions to access BCM were to turn ignition from ON to unlock/ ACC. When I did that, I could get into BCM and perform gauge sweep and light segment tests etc. To fix this vehicle, we repaired some wiring at a connector at rear of vehicle and customer had original BCM returned to her, so we reinstalled it. We then had working key fobs and correct mileage and of course working fuel gauge. As I mentioned, we had just purchased WiTech and am still learning how to use it. (great tool BTW), so I thought I would hook it up again, but I still couldn't get response from BCM either key on or on ACC position. Was I doing something wrong? Has anyone else run into something similar? My understanding is DRBIII emulator software is the same as DRBIII handheld, or is that not so?

Randy Lehr
Willowridge Auto Service
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

4 Replies Received (View Replies)

car Vehicle Data

1999 Chrysler Cirrus LX 2.4L

Engine2.4 L
Trans4-speed Automatic (Electronic)