Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
mercedes help! no diesel experience!
Posted to Technical Discussion Forum on 11/4/2014 8 Replies

HELP GUYS!! I have an 83 mercedes 240D here in the shop. The customer is complaining of a shudder shifting from 1st to 2nd. I could only duplicate when the vehicle is cold, (its not really a shudder, its more of a bucking when the clutch is released that goes away after a few minutes of driving and shifting), or has been off for roughly 15 minutes. The vehicle has 233k on it. The clutch also does not slip at any point during the test drive. Has anyone seen this type of issue before and could point me in the right direction? I have zero diesel experience so any pointers on this concern or known fixes would be great!

Also, The fuel gauge always reads full, until the vehicle is shut off, and I pull on the parking brake release. My first thought was a pinched wire but I couldn't find anything in that direction. I grounded all 3 of the wires in the connector at the fuel sender on the top of the tank (directly underneath the rear deck) and the only thing that happened was one wire triggered the low fuel light. Any pointers here as well? I was recommending replacing the fuel gauge first so I could test the sender again. Let me know fellas! Thank you!!

Mike Dunn
ABS Solutions LLC dba Ed Ebert Automotive
Moorestown, New Jersey, USA

8 Replies Received (View Replies)

car Vehicle Data

1983 Mercedes-Benz 240D 2.4L

Engine2.4 L
Trans4-speed Standard