× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Subaru Fuel Pump In-Tank Leak
Posted to Technical Discussion Forum on 3/29/2014 7 Replies

Had a 2003 Outback 3.0 brought to my shop with a no start. condition. Fuel pump cycled on when ignition was turned on but no fuel pressure. Checked Identifix at this point. Lots if posts pointing to a metal cap on the fuel pump assembly that cracks and causes a massive fuel leak within the tank. Pulled the fuel pump assembly and, sure enough, that was the problem.

It seems that this pump module has a reservoir within which a filter can be installed. The aforementioned metal cap and and an o-ring seals this reservoir. There are three tangs on this cap that hold it on the reservoir. One tang has a male spade connector for a ground wire and this is usually the tang that develops a stress crack which allows the cap to move down beyond it's sealing o-ring and dump all the fuel pressure.

Subaru does not sell this cap separately- you gotta buy the whole fuel pump module to the tune of $400 bucks. OUCH!!! Four hundred clams for a 50 cent stamped piece of metal.

I'll cut to the chase here: starting in 2004 Subaru started putting a filter in this reservoir. Google or EBay this part number: W0133-1617990. This filter includes the metal cap you need. This filter and cap is around 60 bucks.

A couple of tips: use a large pair of Channellock pliers to r&r the cap. Before you install the cap lube the o-ring.

There is talk on the Subaru forums about the stress crack being caused by the cap' so- ring swelling. I'll post again here when I find a source for the o-ring. The o-ring is not included with the filter/cap.

Thomas Brandolini
Owner/Technician
Haverhill Tune-Up
East Kingston, New Hampshire, USA

7 Replies Received (View Replies)