Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Subaru Fuel Pump In-Tank Leak
Posted to Technical Discussion Forum on 3/29/2014 7 Replies

Had a 2003 Outback 3.0 brought to my shop with a no start. condition. Fuel pump cycled on when ignition was turned on but no fuel pressure. Checked Identifix at this point. Lots if posts pointing to a metal cap on the fuel pump assembly that cracks and causes a massive fuel leak within the tank. Pulled the fuel pump assembly and, sure enough, that was the problem.

It seems that this pump module has a reservoir within which a filter can be installed. The aforementioned metal cap and and an o-ring seals this reservoir. There are three tangs on this cap that hold it on the reservoir. One tang has a male spade connector for a ground wire and this is usually the tang that develops a stress crack which allows the cap to move down beyond it's sealing o-ring and dump all the fuel pressure.

Subaru does not sell this cap separately- you gotta buy the whole fuel pump module to the tune of $400 bucks. OUCH!!! Four hundred clams for a 50 cent stamped piece of metal.

I'll cut to the chase here: starting in 2004 Subaru started putting a filter in this reservoir. Google or EBay this part number: W0133-1617990. This filter includes the metal cap you need. This filter and cap is around 60 bucks.

A couple of tips: use a large pair of Channellock pliers to r&r the cap. Before you install the cap lube the o-ring.

There is talk on the Subaru forums about the stress crack being caused by the cap' so- ring swelling. I'll post again here when I find a source for the o-ring. The o-ring is not included with the filter/cap.

Thomas Brandolini
Haverhill Tune-Up
East Kingston, New Hampshire, USA

7 Replies Received (View Replies)