× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
intermittent misfire at idle
Posted to Technical Discussion Forum on 11/1/2013 31 Replies

Good day all!!!

I had some fun yesterday making some correlations for myself and proving-out some theories. I had the referenced-vehicle above come in to the shop with the complaint of a "rough-idle". The complaint was easily exhibited. The vehicle did indeed exhibit a misfire at idle. if the RPM was elevated even slightly, the misfire vanished. The vehicle did not exhibit the symptom nor any others at all, under any other driving-condition. I scanned the vehicle for DTCs...P0300 was the only DTC flagged. I referred to misfire-data and #2 was counting-up as well as #3. FREEZE DATA registered the same operating conditions. Fuel Trims were close to 1.0 off-idle but were as such during the idle/misfire:

LTFT#1= .93 (cyls 1-2-3) LTFT#2= .98 (cyls 4-5-6)

This vehicle had 150k miles on it and didn't appear to be properly-maintained. I had a strong hunch I was facing a valve-overlap issue. I thought it would be wise to take some BEFORE/AFTER captures using the First-look Sensor. I was hoping to see something on it. I connected to the intake manifold at the booster-port and referenced #4 coil-command because it was very easy to access.

[2005 Honda Pilot EX, Engine/Propulsion Waveform]

I removed the valve-covers to attain my measurements...I realized that the FLS was very capable of capturing slight-changes but I learned something today as well....if you refer to the actual-clearances on the right-side of the capture, you will see that the further the clearances deviate from spec, the more noticeable it is in the intake-waveform. I found that pretty interesting, myself. Below is the same waveform after adjusting the valves to proper tolerances.

[2005 Honda Pilot EX, Engine/Propulsion Waveform]

Im curious if anyone is familiar-enough with the ATS "H2O-sensor to explain to me how it would display the same waveform by comparison?....better-yet, does anyone have any of those waveforms that they would like to share so that we can all compare "weapons" of choice?

Thanks Everybody...I hope this stirs the pot a little-bit ;0)

Brandon from Indiana

Files Referenced:

thumbnail thumbnail

31 Replies Received (View Replies)

car Vehicle Data

2005 Honda Pilot EX 3.5L

Engine3.5 L
Trans5-speed Automatic (Electronic)

car Vehicle Data

2005 Honda Pilot EX 3.5L

Engine3.5 L
Trans5-speed Automatic (Electronic)