Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Duralast: 2, Raybestos: 0
Posted to Technical Discussion Forum on 10/4/2012 16 Replies

Hi Gang,

I am surprised about these results but here goes. On my drive to work, I travel on one of those roads that is 55 mph, hilly and has regular stop lights. That being said when I needed to replace brake rotors I opted for ordering the 'heavier duty' rotors advertised from Raybestos on Rock Auto.

Not too long after putting them on I started feeling some pedal pulsation. I figured it was probably a rear drum acting up. Anyhow I put it off and it got worse (!). Eventually I made time to check and the backs were properly adjusted and not out of round. Hmm. I took a look at the front and thinking maybe a caliper was sticking I checked that first and they were fine. I looked at the rotors and saw nothing obvious.

Rather irritated I drove to the local Autozone and bought the cheapest rotors they have (I plan on getting rid of this soon) and put them on. It has been over a month now (more time than took the others to act up), driving the same roads/style and they are still smooth a silk.

BTW, I checked with Rock Auto and they default to the manufacturers warranty. I checked with Raybestos and they do NOT cover warpage. I get why (if they are selling to DIY'ers) but for some reason Autozone would have covered theirs. I tried contacting Raybestos and after several weeks there is still no reply. Caveat Emptor.

Leo Schneggenburger
Technician/Consultant (Retired)
Nothnagle Realtors
Fairport, New York, USA

16 Replies Received (View Replies)